New Report: Despite Progress, Deep Inequality Plagues Black America

By Stacy M. Brown (NNPA News Wire Contributor) In 1976, then-President Gerald Ford delivered the annual “State of the Union Address,” virtually ignoring the plight of African-Americans and Latinos. That drove Vernon Jordan, then-president of the National Urban League, to commission his own report. Now, Read More


Republican Budget Would Shred Safety Net

By Jazelle Hunt NNPA Washington Correspondent WASHINGTON (NNPA) – The Republican House budget will shred the social safety net designed to protect the most vulnerable citizens, severely cutting programs ranging from student loans to food stamps, according to a nonpartisan think thank. “The budget would Read More


Atlanta Ranks No. 1 for Income Inequality

  (Black Enterprise) – Brookings Institution recently revealed a new report comparing cities’ top earning households to their least earning. The report serves as an update to 2014 research exploring income inequality among the nation’s 50 largest cities. The analysis measures the wealth gap between households earning more than 95% of Read More


Obama’s Tax Trap

  (Slate) – The most notable Republican reaction to President Obama’s State of the Union address Tuesday night did not come from official respondent Joni Ernst, the rookie senator from Red Oak, Iowa, with the camouflage high heels. It came from Mitt Romney, newly back in Read More


Yes, the Rich are Getting Richer

By Freddie Allen NNPA Washington Correspondent WASHINGTON (NNPA) – A new report confirms the old saw: The rich are getting richer. According to a report titled, “Striking it Richer: The Evolution of Top Incomes in the United States by researchers at the University of California Read More


US Income Inequality at Record High

[BBC]   The income gap between the richest 1% of Americans and the other 99% widened to a record margin in 2012, according to an analysis of tax filings. The top 1% of US earners collected 19.3% of household income, breaking a record previously set Read More

No Picture

Income Inequality Grows in U.S.

By George E. Curry NNPA Columnist The threat of an impending fiscal cliff has sparked intense conversations about whether upper income citizens are paying their fair share of taxes. But equally important – and perhaps more important in the long term – is the issue Read More