(Detroit Free-Press) – The Detroiter who stunned the world with Olympian walks to his suburban factory job — and stunned himself by attracting gifts of a new car and $350,000 in donations — abruptly moved Tuesday to a location he felt was safer, police said.
James Robertson, 56, was helped by Detroit police to move just minutes after crime-prevention specialists offered him temporary living quarters, Detroit police Capt. Aric Tosqui said.
“We had a meeting with him (and) he expressed interest that he did not feel safe,” said Tosqui, commanding officer of the 3rd Precinct.
A swirl of publicity grew around Robertson and his windfall last week after the Free Press told of his 21 miles of walking and two bus rides in daily commutes to and from a job where he has had years of perfect attendance.
“People were actually asking him for money,” 2nd Deputy Chief June West said. Robertson has yet to receive any of the cash, raised in just a week of Internet donations to a GoFundMe.com page, according to page creator Evan Leedy.