by Rev. Manson B. Johnson II
Special to the NNPA from the Houston Forward-Times
7 STRENGTHS OF CHRISTIAN BELIEVERS
Bible Fact: God uses a combination of spiritual characteristics to bring Christians to the point to glorify God.
The Big Idea: Growing Christians exhibit more positive spiritual qualities on the inside that cause them to get more personal blessings from God; while at the same time, they also become increasingly more effective and highly attractive to sinners in the world.
The American painter, John Sargent, once painted a panel of roses that was highly praised by critics. It was a small picture, but it approached perfection. Although offered a high price for it on many occasions, Sargent refused to sell it. He considered it his best work and was very proud of it. Whenever he was deeply discouraged and doubtful of his abilities as an artist, he would look at it and remind himself, “I painted that.” Then his confidence and ability would come back to him. —Bits & Pieces, September 19, 1991, p. 9.
Christians commune with God and their personal confidence is strengthened. God supplies a well of strength for life’s circumstances and He rewards those that exhibit such a person confidence.
I. How does confidence act or what does it look like?
- A Christian first credits his/her confidence to the Lord; II Corinthians 8:5; Proverbs 3:5,6
- David’s confidence in God gave him personal assurance to take down a giant; I Samuel 17:32-37
- David’s unwavering confidence gave him power knowing God was present with him in battle; vv.45-47
II. Where does confidence come from?
- Confidence comes from God through teaching and training; Psalm 1:2,3;119:165; Isaiah 40:28-31; Ezekiel 28:26
- Confidence in God can be trusted; Psalm 118:8,9
III. What is the outcome or reward for having strong confidence?
- God’s favor is upon those that have strong confidence; Proverbs 3:26
- Strong confidence in God will reject the thought to quit or withdraw in life during battles, conflicts and persecution; Hebrews 10:30-39
- God reward those that have their confidence activated in purpose to perform without fear of failure; I Samuel 17:24-27