Lawyer: Video Shows Ambush of Former Rap Mogul ‘Suge’ Knight

Marion "Suge" Knight, right, is joined by his attorney David Kenner, left, during his arraignment, Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2015 in Compton, Calif. Knight, 49, pleaded not guilty on to murder, attempted murder and other charges filed after he struck two men with his truck last week. (AP Photo/Paul Buck, Pool)
Marion "Suge" Knight, right, is joined by his attorney David Kenner, left, during his arraignment, Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2015 in Compton, Calif.  Knight, 49,  pleaded not guilty on to murder, attempted murder and other charges filed after he struck two men with his truck last week. (AP Photo/Paul Buck, Pool)
Marion “Suge” Knight, right, is joined by his attorney David Kenner, left, during his arraignment, Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2015 in Compton, Calif. Knight, 49, pleaded not guilty on to murder, attempted murder and other charges filed after he struck two men with his truck last week. (AP Photo/Paul Buck, Pool)

ANTHONY McCARTNEY, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A lawyer for Marion “Suge” Knight said Wednesday that members of his office have reviewed video that appears to show the former rap mogul was ambushed before two men were hit with his truck and one was killed.

David Kenner said the surveillance video came from a Compton burger stand where Knight struck the men on Jan. 29.

Asked what the video showed, Kenner replied, “An ambush.”

He declined to discuss specifics of the footage but said it would aid in Knight’s defense against murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run charges.

Knight, 49, has pleaded not guilty to the charges and remained jailed without bail.

Kenner said details about the confrontation that killed Terry Carter, 55, has been one-sided and he urged people to keep an open mind.

A phone message seeking comment about the video from sheriff’s Lt. John Corina was not immediately returned.

Kenner criticized previous statements made by Corina that Knight had repeatedly struck actor and film consultant Cle “Bone” Sloan, who was injured by the truck.

Corina has said witnesses told investigators it looked like an intentional act.

Authorities said they do not believe Carter was involved in the altercation.

Knight is the co-founder of Death Row Records, which once boasted Dr. Dre, Tupac Shakur and Snoop Dogg as its artists.

Details about the video were first reported by celebrity website TMZ.

Kenner appeared on Knight’s behalf at a brief hearing Wednesday on an unrelated robbery charge filed after a celebrity photographer reported that Knight and comedian Katt Williams stole her camera.

Both men have pleaded not guilty in that case.

Prosecutors later added a felony charge against Knight alleging he made criminal threats toward the photographer. Knight has not yet been arraigned on that charge.

Deputy District Attorney Keri Modder said at the hearing that she wants Knight’s bail increased to $1 million now that he has been charged with murder.

Kenner said he will oppose the motion at a Feb. 19 hearing.

___

Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.