Google Granting Half of ‘Right to be Forgotten’ Requests

In this Oct. 17, 2012, file photo, a man raises his hand during at Google offices in New York. People should have some say over the results that pop up when they conduct a search of their own name online, Europe's highest court said Tuesday, May 13, 2014. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)
In this Oct. 17, 2012, file photo, a man raises his hand during at Google offices in New York. People should have some say over the results that pop up when they conduct a search of their own name online, Europe's highest court said Tuesday, May 13, 2014. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)
In this Oct. 17, 2012, file photo, a man raises his hand during at Google offices in New York. People should have some say over the results that pop up when they conduct a search of their own name online, Europe’s highest court said Tuesday, May 13, 2014. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)

 

(ZDNet) – On the same day as Google faced a grilling from European data watchdogs over its handling of right to be forgotten cases, it emerged that the company has so far agreed to remove around half of the links it was requested to.

Following a European Court of Justice ruling in April, EU citizens can ask for search engines to stop providing links to material that is out of date, irrelevant, or excessive, in the results for searches on their names.

According to reports, Google has stopped providing links to “slightly over” 50 percent of the URLs it has been asked to under the ruling. It began taking the requests in May and to date it has received 91,000 of them from individuals asking for 328,000 links to no longer be returned as results for searches for their names, the reports said.

The largest number of requests came from France, followed closely by Germany.

READ MORE

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.