FIFA to Suspend Bidding for 2026 World Cup Amid Corruption Scandal

FIFA to Suspend Bidding for 2026 World Cup Amid Corruption Scandal

In this Thursday, Dec. 2, 2010 file photo, FIFA President Sepp Blatter announces Russia to host the 2018 World Cup during the announcement of the host country for the 2018 soccer World Cup in Zurich, Switzerland. FIFA has been plunged into crisis since seven officials were arrested in dawn raids last week at a luxury Zurich hotel and in a separate probe, Swiss authorities are investigating the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding contests, which went to Russia and Qatar. (AP Photo/Michael Probst, File)
In this Thursday, Dec. 2, 2010 file photo, FIFA President Sepp Blatter announces Russia to host the 2018 World Cup during the announcement of the host country for the 2018 soccer World Cup in Zurich, Switzerland. FIFA has been plunged into crisis since seven officials were arrested in dawn raids last week at a luxury Zurich hotel and in a separate probe, Swiss authorities are investigating the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding contests, which went to Russia and Qatar. (AP Photo/Michael Probst, File)

(CNN) – FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke said Wednesday that FIFA would “postpone” the bidding process for the 2026 World Cup, as investigations continue into allegations that bribery helped determine the hosts of earlier World Cups.

World soccer’s governing body had expected to allocate the 2026 tournament to a host nation in 2017, with the bidding process to start soon, Valcke said, but in the current situation, it’s “nonsense to start any bidding process for the time being.”

FIFA said Monday that there are no legal grounds for it to take the 2018 World Cup from Russia or the 2022 event from Qatar.

Speaking to reporters while on a visit to Russia on Wednesday, Valcke said preparations for hosting the 2018 World Cup were “on track.”

READ MORE