Esaw Garner Rejects NYC’s $5M Offer to Settle Wrongful Death Suit: Source

Esaw Garner Rejects NYC’s $5M Offer to Settle Wrongful Death Suit: Source

Esaw Garner, wife of Eric Garner, speaks alongside Garner's mother, Gwen Carr, left, during a news conference at the National Action Network headquarters in New York on Wednesday, Dec. 3, 2014 after a grand jury's decision not to indict a New York police officer involved in the death of Eric Garner. A video shot by an onlooker and widely viewed on the Internet showed the 43-year-old Garner telling a group of police officers to leave him alone as they tried to arrest him. The city medical examiner ruled Garner's death a homicide and found that a chokehold contributed to it. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)
Esaw Garner, wife of Eric Garner, speaks alongside Garner’s mother, Gwen Carr, left, during a news conference at the National Action Network headquarters in New York on Wednesday, Dec. 3, 2014. (AP Photo/John Minchillo) 

John Marzulli, Ginger Adams Otis, and Stephen Rex Brown, THE NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

 

NEW YORK (The New York Daily News) — A $5 million settlement won’t satisfy the heartbroken family of Eric Garner.

A source familiar with ongoing negotiations between Controller Scott Stringer and the family of the Staten Island man killed by an NYPD cop say that his widow, Esaw Garner, turned down the hefty offer last week.

The source said the Garner family’s attorney, Jonathan Moore, is urging the family to accept the $5 million and then seek more money through a separate lawsuit against EMTs from Richmond University Medical Center.

They were captured on video failing to give Garner, 43, medical treatment — neither oxygen nor CPR — as he died at their feet July 17, 2014.

Negotiations are expected to continue until Friday, when a statute of limitations requires the family file a wrongful death lawsuit. The family has said it intends to sue the city for $75 million.

 

READ MORE

###