Ebola: Democratic Republic of Congo Says its Outbreak is Over

Ebola: Democratic Republic of Congo Says its Outbreak is Over

Nigeria health official display a leaflet explaining Ebola Virus Disease at the arrival hall of Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos, Nigeria, Monday, Aug. 4, 2014. Nigerian authorities on Monday confirmed a second case of Ebola in Africa's most populous country, an alarming setback as officials across the region battle to stop the spread of a disease that has killed more than 700 people. (AP Photo/Sunday Alamba)
(AP Photo/Sunday Alamba)

 

(BBC.com—A three-month Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has ended after claiming at least 49 lives, the country’s health minister says. Felix Kabange said no new cases had been registered since 4 October, though he warned against complacency.

The country’s outbreak is unrelated to the one in West Africa which has claimed more than 5,000 lives.

Ebola was first detected in 1976 near the Ebola River in what is now the Democratic Republic of Congo.

 

READ MORE

###